Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Tangible God

  
   My alarm was set for 5:15am. I woke up at 4:45am. There was a group  meditation planned for this morning.  Sunrise today was 5:30. I was afraid if I went back to bed I would wake up my husband, not wake up in time or both so I stayed up and waited.

   It was a sunrise meditation that a mandala group was doing all around the world. We would start at sunrise where ever we lived, light a candle and connect our inner light to those in our group and to those no longer with us.

   Rain clouds snuck into Chicago during the night. The sky was thick and grey  at sunrise. Since I had time, I began to think. (Sometimes that's a dangerous thing.) Our inner light would shine even though the sun did not.

   I had to believe that the sun was rising even though I couldn't see it behind the clouds. It dawned on me that it was a metaphor for prayer and our relationship with God. We pray to God even if we can't see God. We trust God is there, but sometimes we would like a tangible God. I began to look for a tangible God.

   Just like the sun, I realized bits of God break through during the day - when we hear a bird sing, when we see a rainbow or smell the spring rain. There are bits of God in our crazy families and in our workplace too. We just have to look for them. Those are the tangible bits of God we can hold onto when our life is cloudy and we don't know if the sun will ever shine again.

May the light in you shine for all to see...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joan! I was just scrolling thru some of my old blog posts and noticed you had left a comment quite awhile ago!! I didn't know you had a blog!! I am now a follower!!

    ReplyDelete